The parish of St. Paul the Apostle was founded in 1923. At that time there were eleven
churches in West Yonkers and Four in East Yonkers. Within the present parish boundaries in
those days there were seventy-four homes. Today on one square block forty-seven homes can
be counted. Streets running north and south from McLean Ave. to Yonkers Ave. had not been
opened. Footpaths between those two points made passage possible. St. Paul the Apostle,
Lincoln Park and St. Anthony of Nepera Park both shared 1923 as foundation time.
Father David Morley the first Pastor responsible for the construction of the church was pleased
when the work was completed in 1925. This Romanesque structure of St. Paul’s followed the
design of St. Denis Church a few blocks west in Yonkers on Van Cortland Park Avenue built in
The rectory, 602 McLean Ave., supposedly built in 1898 was the location for the altar where
one mass was celebrated daily and Sunday in the living room. An addition to the rectory was
made in 1928 to accommodate three priests.
Children for First Communion and Confirmation were taught by Franciscan Nuns whose house
was located at the present schoolyard. In addition they offered to girls training in typing, piano
Father Morley became the Chaplain to the Sacramentine Sisters in Yonkers in 1949. The new
pastor Monsignor James Ryan had the task of Building a parish school when he began his
tenure. That great work was completed in 1952. Since then fourteen hundred thirty nine
students have graduated. Most graduates in those years were taught by the Sisters of the
Presentation, Newburgh, NY.
Historical account of Our Parish
St. Paul the Apostle